Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's all about the socks!!!

So, are you ready to see the world's most slowly knitted pair of socks???

SOCKLINGS!!!!!Yes, the Socklings are finally done!!! My feet are so happy!!!! (But why do my legs look so fat???)

Happy with the new socks!!!So, my thoughts on knitting my first pair? First of all, I am painfully slow at knitting socks. The first sock was cast on in mid-October and finished on January 6th. (Yes, these are Socktoberfest Socks!!!) The second one, however, was downright speedy in comparison. It was cast on January 6th and completed on January 18th!!! I really stalled on the foot . . . the last three inches seemed to drag on forever!!! However, I did pass the worst part on the learning curve some time during sock one, because the second one seemed so much easier. I even lost my hatred for DPN's!!

I have to admit, I didn't love the pattern. In my usual sloppy fashion, I just dug into my folder of patterns, found this one, and started knitting without doing much research. I did the picot-edged woman's sock, but omitted the garter checker pattern because I wanted to try something really basic. I would recommend stitching the picot hem with elastic instead of yarn, because it's REALLY HARD to get on and off my foot. Yes, I did follow the instructions and stitch the hem loosely, but it doesn't seem to help much.

The yarn is Knit Picks Essential in Ash. Again, I wanted a really plain, basic sock that I could wear with anything. I do like this yarn, although I don't have any other sock yarn experiences to compare it with yet. However, it knits up nicely and the price is great!!!

A big thank you goes out to Christine for the wonderful Kitchener Stitch tutorial. I've heard many a horror story about Kitchener Stitch, but thanks to this handy dandy guide, I had no problems. I even managed to do the second toe while watching LOST last night - ignoring everyone's advice to lock yourself in a silent room!! Another huge help was this wonderful tutorial. Any time the Lion Brand pattern left me a bit confused, I could pull up the tutorial and get back on track. I think the major problem was that I decided to knit them on three DPN's even though the pattern is written using four. I know, sometimes rational thought just leaves my head!! And again, a huge thanks to all of you for all the supportive comments you left, cheering my on when things got tough!!

Yesterday, I did the post-holiday organize and sort of my craft room. (I'll have to post pictures of my craft room soon, it's one of my favorite places!!!) I decided to sort my yarn by type and arranged them in baskets. I seem to have amassed quite a large basket of sock yarn!!! Here they are in all their bright, soft, yarn glory!!!

Clockwise from the top right, we have Trekking XXL 104, Lorna's Laces Tuscany, Schoeller Stahl Socka Disco Color 9051, Lorna's Laces Funky Stripe (from my Secret Santa), Knit Picks Parade Checkers, No No Kitty Great Outdoors, Knit Picks Simple Stripes Storm, Lorna's Laces Aslan, AND at high noon (or maybe midnight) Vesper Maura. I am so out of control!!!!!

I feel somewhat lost without a pair of socks to knit, so next up I plan to use the Trekking for this pattern by Bobby. (And yes, I did snap up two pairs of his Addi's!!!!) I'm also considering joining the Knitting Olympics with a huge sock challenge. Am I crazy enough to try it???

14 comments:

Olga said...

Yours are NOT the slowest-knitted socks...mine are! and they're still not finished! I was going to avoid the Knitting Olympics, but now I'm also thinking that another pair of socks may be just the thing. If I'm good and finish my Broadripple, that is.

Who is that Bobby character? I've never read his blog before, but now I'm oddly fascinated by this boy--he's obsessed as any of us! And I'm an open-minded feminist, I don't know why this should be so bizarrely compelling to me!

Chrissy said...

Your socks look great! Congrats on finishing your first pair.

Ragan said...

Hurray for SOCKS!!!!
Did you like working with that KnitPicks Ash...I have some of that at home too...and have yet to use it. It looks like it made great socks.

Jen said...

YAY for socks!!! I knew it would be very soon... That No No Kitty looks SO pretty. I have every confidence that now that you have one pair of socks under your belt, the Thuja socks will be no sweat. Well, maybe finishing in 2 weeks might make it more challenging, cuz I still haven't figured out why it everyone says that socks are such a quick knit?

Sonya said...

Yay, Socklings! They turned out great. Of from the looks of that sock yarn stash, they won't be alone for long.

Yes! Yes! Join the knitting Olympics. My husband is really enjoying the little planning frenzy that the Harlot has thrown me into.

Jillio said...

yay! finished socks! woot woot!
caught the sock bug now, haven't you!?
heel flaps are pretty, but i find short rows are faster. perhaps that will help expedite the process? nothing wrong with heel flaps, though ;)
that's quite a stash of sock yarn! makes me feel like i should take attendance with mine...*sigh* i wish i could go home and pet my sock yarn...and knit them all up into socks...i need to get me more socking needles...!!! feels like i never have enough sock yarn. HAH!
i'm dying...strong, this urge is. distract from the sweaters, i must not. mmm...sock yarn...*drool* the force is strong with this yarn.

Cathy said...

Great job on the socks - they look great! I won't tell you how much sock yarn I have in my stash and I bought more last week - (hanging head in shame) - go for the Olympics - it'll be fun :)

Laura said...

Nice socks! I love 'em! Hey, are you making Thujas for yourself or the Man In Your Life? I would love to have some for ME ME ME. Now I'm considering rewriting that pattern for my feet...

chris said...

YAY, Karen!!! Way to go, girl!!! I knew you could do it! Your socks are gorgeous!! The color is wonderful and they look like they fit you really well, too. And looks like you've got many more beautiful pairs to come, judging by your awesome sock stash! SO pretty- I'm especially loving your Lorna's Laces and Trekking. It's easy to get out of control with the sock yarn- socks are so addicting and it's so fun to go wild with all the wonderful colors. You can totally do the Olympics!! I know you can! Fabulous job, Karen....take care!! :-)

Noey D. said...

Great Job! You did it! Your first socks turned out so well!

Anonymous said...

Yay finished socks! Sometimes you can just whip through one, and the other is just drudgery - sounds like you had the opposite. I love Lorna's Laces in Tuscany, I knit a feather and fan pair from Socks Socks Socks and they get the most compliments.

Anonymous said...

YAY! Socks!! I love me some socks - and sock yarn ;o) Lorna's Laces is my personal favorite although I've wanted to try the Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn. I doubt I will though, considering all the controversy (apparently the owner is not so nice - at least, that's what I've heard).

Your socks look great :o)

Nancy said...

Cute socks! At least your fist pair are both the same size. ;-)

~Kristie said...

Congratulations on finishing your socks! I'm not sure how long my first pair took me, but I honestly didn't like sock knitting until my third pair! Now though .. I'm an addict!

I'm glad you're going to knit the Thuja's. I've been thinking about knitting them for DH.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!